The Required Salary Calculator is a tool that allows you to input your desired take-home pay amount and then calculates the gross income that would be needed to achieve that take-home pay, taking into account taxes and other deductions. This can be useful for people who have a specific budget in mind and want to determine how much they need to earn before taxes and deductions in order to meet their financial goals.
Please feel free to evaluate your required salary for the present tax year (2023/24) or for previous tax year’s for comparison (i.e 2022/23, 2021/22, 2020/21).
If you are paid an hourly-wage or an annual salary, it is important to select the correct time interval to generate an accurate breakdown of your take-home pay.
Please select the correct region within the Tax Residency drop down, as this enables region-specific tax rates to be applied.
It is not necessary to enter a Tax Code, as your region-specific Tax Code is applied by default. However, please feel free to enter alternative tax codes if applicable. All permissible tax codes are included.
Plan 1: For an English or Welsh student who started an undergraduate course anywhere in the UK BEFORE 1st September 2012
Plan 2: For an English or Welsh student who started an undergraduate course anywhere in the UK on or AFTER 1st September 2012
Plan 4 (Scotland): For a Scottish student who started an undergraduate or postgraduate course anywhere in the UK on or after 1st September 1998
Postgraduate Loan: For an English or Welsh student who took out a Postgraduate Master’s Loan on or AFTER 1st August 2016
Tax relief is afforded to employees who contribute towards a pension scheme. Consequently, money is paid into your pension which would otherwise have been paid to the government in the form of income tax.
To derive an accurate assessment of your tax relief entitlement, it is necessary to select the relevant pension scheme. Two different pension schemes are available to select within our UK Salary Calculator:
Net Pay (Salary Sacrifice): In this scheme, pension contributions are deducted from your gross salary, which means that your income tax is calculated using your remaining salary only. As a result, you receive income tax relief at the highest rate of income tax that you pay.
Relief at Source: For a relief at source scheme, pension contributions are deducted from your net pay (i.e after PAYE deductions). However, your employer only deducts 80% of your total pension contribution from your salary and pays for the remaining 20% itself.
It is important to tailor the work schedule entries to guarantee an accurate breakdown of your salary over various time scales, e.g. annually/weekly/hourly.
NEW - 03/03/2023: The Required UK Salary Calculator has been updated for the 2023/24 tax year.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for illustrative purposes only.
Do not make any major financial decisions without consulting a qualified specialist.